Harvey Weinstein UPDATE – Court Decision Reached
(UnitedHeadlines.com) – In 2017, The New York Times published a scathing piece alleging high-profile movie producer Harvey Weinstein had sexually abused dozens of actresses seeking roles in his films. The toppled Hollywood pillar has already been found guilty in one case, which he’s currently attempting to appeal. In response to the planned release of a new tell-all movie detailing his exploits, the defendant tried to force a delay on his newest upcoming court date. Judge Lisa Lench refused the request.
The Harvey Weinstein trial in Los Angeles will go on despite a coming wave of publicity for the Universal film "She Said," a judge has ruled: https://t.co/clR4w39Mch
— TheWrap (@TheWrap) August 29, 2022
Weinstein’s attorney Mark Werksman had argued that proceeding with the trial near the release date for “She Said,” which follows journalists Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey in their journey to uncover the alleged abuse, could skew this trial’s outcome. The reasoning didn’t sway the judge. However, she did say she would consider a postponement to allow the defendant to address unsightly dental issues before facing another jury.
The defense likely has another motive for pushing the delay. If the appeals process drops Weinstein’s recent rape conviction, the current prejudice against him might diminish. The court of public opinion has placed the producer under harsh judgment, with the guilty verdict sealing many people’s views. Starting the next trial after the appeals decision could give the defendant a possible straw to grasp at, although the strategy hinges on the court dropping the initial case.
So far, 87 women have come forward with allegations against Weinstein, and the producer faces numerous separate trials against multiple Hollywood stars. His accusers include Rose McGowan, Rosanna Arquette, Kate Beckinsale, Daryl Hannah, Salma Hayek, and Ashley Judd.
Copyright 2022, UnitedHeadlines.com